ISP setup

I'm looking at the step by step instructions included at http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge, and I have a few questions that relate to local implementation and some different assumptions, as follows:

Stage 1 - Basic installation

1)  If I'm doing a CD-based install, I asusme it's safe to include graphical desktop packages and add the CD's at the end of the basic installation process via Synaptic.  This lessens a reliance on network connectivity and lets me add the stable packages from the 16-CD (total) download (updates and security updates are still installed via the network).

2)  Since exim is removed anyway, I assume that any answer on the basic installation for mail server configuration is fine.

Stage 2 - Installing and configuring the rest of the system

3)  I anticipate the final network hardware configuration to be as follows:

Network connection -> Router/Gateway Server -> Smart Switch ->Servers

I have a router in place that restricts port access and can support up to 5 static IP's from my network provider.  In other words, it can accept traffic for up to 5 static IP's on specified ports and route traffic based on those five IP's and the specified port for the traffic to any specific internal computer.

This leaves everything except the router/gateway configurable, and makes static IP support concentrate on the router/gateway server.

Additionally, and for the moment only, I am using a dynamic DNS service that handles DNS service dynamically to the domain of "charles.is-a-geek.net".  This dynamic DNS service can also handle MX service as well.  Periodically, as needed, I update the DNS service with my current DSL IP address.  This IP address is my test ISP address.

How does this affect the  network settings in /etc/network/interfaces?

4)  In setting this up, I anticipate putting the end users in /home/~username, since there will be relatively few local end users (end users physically located near theis server).  Towards this end, I have mounted a six-drive RAID array (45.5 gigs at the moment, but that can be changed) running the reiserFS file system at /home, not at /var, and I've left the /var directory as a logfile repository.  How does this affect the /etc/fstab entries?  I've already tried a reboot and the RAID array doesn't like the errors=remount-ro option under the reiserFS, and it disabled /dev/md0 when I rebooted.

Page 4 - Configuring mail services

5)  In configuring POP3, the command line of "openssl genrsa -des3 -rand /etc/hosts -out smtpd.key 1024" generates an error and stops the script file when run as part of a script, but it runs just fine by itself and the rest of the script following it runs just fine.  Is this normal?

6)  First "telnet localhost 25" and then "ehlo localhost" gets a mostly correct response; however, it still identifies the system as "localhost.localdomain". There is also no "STARTTTLS" entry.  Did I miss something?

STAGE 5 (Perl update)

7)  When I got to the point of installing modules needed by SpamAssassin, I found that a new CPAN version was available.  I installed it when prompted.  The following three installations (HTML Parser, DB_File, and Net DNS all appaeared to fail, but upon rerunning them I got "up-to-date" messages.  Did I miss something, or was this normal?

And, two more generic questions:

8)  What changes in this setup do I need to make in order to (if possible) put a user's mail either under his /home directory, or under a separate directory which can then be included in his/her disk quota?  I'm looking to end up specifying a set disk quota (say 40 megs) for a disk quota per user, to consist of mail, web, and ftp space.

9)  (Off topic) Do I need to worry about this if I install ISPConfig, or will ISPConfig watch both mail and ftp quotas?