Re: suggested virus scanner for postfix (?)

jack wrote:
Hi All!

I'm trying to figure out what virus scanner to go with and was hoping for some opinions + experience. I'm using postfix with mysql virtual users (about 10k accounts).

I'm after something fast, stable, and efficient under high load.

Also, I'd like to have some sort of notification and/or bounce when a message contains a virus.

I installed clamsmtp a while ago after reading the following which works ok, but it just drops messages that contain viruses rather then notifying anyone. (IS it possible to 'notify' with clamsmtp?)

Any info appreciated!

I just finished setting up a postfix server and debated between clamsmtp and amavisd-new/clamd. I ended up going with the later for more options and better documentation. It wasn't all that difficult to setup either and it drops an alert to postmaster by default. Amavisd-new also allows you to send email through spamassassin and swap out AV providers or even use more then one.

I can't speak for it's speed (only 20 users here) but I would think the actual virus scan would be a greater bottleneck then the interface to the mta, right?

http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/

-eric