Re: Exim not accepting undescore in server name?

Andy Smith <andy@lug.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:14:44AM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
> > The unfortunate reality is that because the DNS implementations have never
> > expressly forbidden _'s we have to allow sending and receiving to/from
> > hostnames with _'s.
>
> Why should DNS dictate what is acceptable for email?  DNS is designed
> to be more general than email, or web, or even IP.
>
> Underscores are not acceptable in internet hostnames as per STD13
> and RFC1035.  If people choose to do this they will experience
> breakage all over, from stricter OS resolver libraries, to
> application proxies (squid!).  Giving in to their wishes in this
> regard does not ultimately help them, it's a rocket launcher with
> foot-seeking missiles.

The main problem, as I understand it, is that Windows quite cheerfully
breaks it's dns hostname, I've seen *far* too many exchange boxes
reporting a hostname of blah_blip (or equiv) in the last few years. IIRC
windows replaces - with _ because something else (smbfs?) can't cope
with - *sigh* :)

Cheers,
--
Brett Parker