Re: [Weird problems with INTEL Ethernet Card]

> ea@sellinet.net wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>

>>My ethernet card was on 32bit/33mhz PCI slot. Now it is on 64bit/66mhz
>>PCI-X slot. Is there someone that can tell me why I can't get througput
>>performance x2? As far as I know if I get 400Mbps+(TX) and 300Mbps+(RX)
>> on
>>32bit/33mhz PCI, then If I put my card on 64bit/66mhz PCI-X I should get
>>more througput not less right? But in practic I get less traffic
>> througput
>>than more. If I use Ethernet Cards that are integrated on the motherboard
>>then I don't have any problems and everything work as expected. Also on
>>PCI 32bit/33mhz when I reach around 700mbps I get high latency and
>> packets
>>loss.  The same situation on PCI-X 64bit/66mhz when I reach around
>>600mbps+.
>>
>>PCI 32bit/33mhz: max. over 700mbps both directions.
>>PCI-X 64bit/66mhz: max. around 600mbps+ both directions.
>>

>>Distro: Debian
>>Kernel: 2.6.15
>>RAM: 2G Kingston DDR2 400mhz ECC
>>CPUs: 2xXeon 3.2Ghz 800FSB 1mb l2 cache
>>

>># Intel Ethernet Card #
>>
>>Model: PWLA8490MT
>>Chipset: 82545GM
>>
>>http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000mt_
>>
>>server_adapter.htm
>>
>># SuperMicro MotherBoard #
>>
>>Model: X6DAL-B2
>>
>>http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7525/X6DAL-B2.cfm
>>

>>P.S. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!
>>

> Because the link you posted for the motherboard doesn't give specifics
> about the PCI-X bus layout it's difficult to be sure whats going on
> here.

There is motherboard Manual but if you need something more specific just
drop me a msg :)

> It could be that you have moved the card from the realitivly empty
> PCI but to a realitivly full PCI-X bus. Judging by the numbers you post
> is possible that the 2 onboard GigE NICs are physically connected to the
> same PCI-X bus as the slots on the motherboard, so you are in effect
> going from a mostly empty 133MB/sec but to a mostly full 512MB/sec bus
> because of the use of the other NICs that are also connected using that
> bus.

No, 2 onboard NICs are physically connected to PCI-E x8. And I used only
these two INTEL NICs.

> It is possible the 2 PCI-X slots on the board are actually connected to
> different buses so you could try the other slot, overall though I would
> say that is unlikely.

They're connected to the same bus.

> Also you don't mention if you have anything in
> that other slot already, if you have a SCSI/RAID card in that slot then
> that will only make things worse.

YES, I have.. I forgot to mention it..sorry actually I have two Ethernet
Cards in these 2 PCI-X slots. The cards are identical. And also I have PCI
video card which is located in one of PCI 32bit/33mhz slots.

> Usually on boards like this the on-board NICs are connected to their own
> 66Mhz/64Bit bus, and the slots are connected to another bus, which makes
> me think you do have another controller of some kind in the second PCI-X
> slot

Usually maybe..but in this case the on-board NICs are connected to PCI-E
x8 and as you say the slots are connected to another bus, and I don't have
any kind of other cards.

E.A