Re: seemless migration

Not only are these comments welcome, they are greatly appreciated. This
was the type of discussion I was hoping for!

Dan MacNeil wrote:

> A few random thoughts based on a couple recent moves we've had to
> make, much of this is probably obvious or irelivant to you.
>
> Moving DNS server IP numbers is different than changing ip# that they
> serve.
>
>     You don't control the TTL (time to live) at the
>     root servers. You need to change your DNS
>     servers ip# now and leave the old ones running
>     serving the correct ip# for the new DNS server.

Simply change the a record for the primary name server to the duplicate
machine while the glue record is propagating?  I hadn't thought of this.

> Even in a well setup system, there are some settings that depend on
> hard coded ip#. Firewall rules, postfix "mynetworks", etc. It is
> probably worth:
>
>     sudo grep $OLDNET /etc/* -d recurse -l
>
> ...on all your systems.

More "jewels"
While I have a written play-by-play calendar plan, this will certainly help!

> You almost certainly do not have to move every thing all at once. If
> you move one server at a time, you can learn from your experience and
> maybe get a night's sleep between moves.

agreed. Though I'd sure like to get this behind me. I'm sweating bullets
over this...

> If there will be overlap between your two T1 vendors, you can run your
> servers with both the old and new  ip numbers for a time.

For 1 to two weeks. I had completely forgotten I could do this with
debian. I just now found the below example.

auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet static

    address 192.168.1.41
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255

auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static

    address 192.168.1.44
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255

> If some of your customers are running their own DNS (like at
> register.com), you should let them know of the move.
> You want to adjust both $TTL and the SOA TTL , the later controls
> negative caching, how long "not found" result is cached.
>
> DNS checking tools, http://dnsreports.com are useful
>
> If you are running on a T1, you can almost certainly drop TTL to 1
> minute. --load on DNS and pipe won't be that high.

If I haven't said it clearly enough, thank you very much. 2 or three
heads are always better than one. The input makes me feel better and
introduces more alternatives.

--
Highest Regards,

Rodney Richison