Re: encryption of emails UPDATE

[It's a gateway and thus requires both ends to use the same]

A SEPP at both ends will work, of course.  But SEPP uses PGP/OpenPGP (only
inline at the time I left) or S/MIME, so SEPP at one end and your MUA of
choice at the other end does work, too.

On Monday 21 February 2005 10.55, martin f krafft wrote:
> Had a closer look at SEPP. From what I can tell, it fails in three
> ways:
>
>   - It assumes that the recipient has a Windows platform, as it
>     attaches an executable which asks for a password to decrypt, and
>     also allows for the encryption of a reply. I am not 100% as the
>     marketing docs are not clear (surprise!), but I cannot imagine
>     another way (they boast not needing any client software). They
>     could go through a webpage, but then that would suck just about
>     as much.

It's a HTML mail and then goes through the web.  SEPPmail seriously sucks,
but is a working kludge for people who can't/won't do OpenPGP or S/MIME.

>   - It uses a password -- symmetric encryption -- which thus falls
>     short in all the ways that symmetric encryption falls short.

Yep.

> PS: I have no beef with SEPP or the company, so please don't read
> this as random bashing.

I did work for them for a time, but I know the company has changed quite a
bit since then (people, financing, ...), so I don't have any ties with them
anymore. (Oh, and it's OpenBSD and qmail-based. Gah! ;-)

greetings
-- vbi

--
De una mentira, ciento se derivan.