Re: encryption of emails UPDATE

Had a closer look at SEPP. From what I can tell, it fails in three
ways:

  - It assumes that the recipient has a Windows platform, as it
    attaches an executable which asks for a password to decrypt, and
    also allows for the encryption of a reply. I am not 100% as the
    marketing docs are not clear (surprise!), but I cannot imagine
    another way (they boast not needing any client software). They
    could go through a webpage, but then that would suck just about
    as much.

  - Users are beginning to understand that they are not to run
    executable attachments. Now it's supposed to become a feature?
    Many mail readers and/or content scanners might well block the
    attachments.

  - It uses a password -- symmetric encryption -- which thus falls
    short in all the ways that symmetric encryption falls short. In
    particular, anyone might be able to sniff the password, or
    launch a social engineering attack. If the password has been
    disclosed, noone knows, nor can the sensitive data be
    protected/revoked.

Just my two cents, because I am really interested in this. I have
not seen a product that actually solves the problems without
creating new ones.

PS: I have no beef with SEPP or the company, so please don't read
this as random bashing.

`. `'`