Re: Mail : quota or not quota ? and how to ?

At 03:32 PM 2/17/05 +0000, Robert Brockway wrote:
>Have a reasonable maximum file size for delivery.  Email is a terrible way
>to send large files anyway thanks to the encoding that is needed for the
>attachments.  Businesses these days often want 50 or 100MB file limits
>5-10MB is better.

<off topic>Since u brought up this subject, I thought I'ld mention this.
The real problem is the 33% growth spurt caused by MIME encoding which
doesn't even utilize all of low ASCII.  These days I can't see any reason
why high ASCII can't also be used in the encoding process.  All that would
have to be escaped would be the control codes and maybe a few other special
characters.  That way file growth could be kept to a few percent tops. </end
off topic>

>> - when over the soft limit, user can receive mail but not send
>
>I think this is a bad idea from a business point of view and from the
>point of view of being useful.
>
>If you impede their ability to do their work you will get a very bad
>reaction from them.

This is exactly what Microsoft Outlook does.  Ur second statement is also
true as I can attest that I've told many an angry user "Sorry dude, ur gonna
have to clean our ur mailbox". ;)

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede males"

00000100