Re: Mail : quota or not quota ? and how to ?

At 04:32 PM 2/17/05 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
>the solution is to implement "soft quotas" and a grace period. For
>mail, I have it set to one month. So if my users exceed 250Mb, they
>are warned every day. I also have a hard limit aat 1Gb just to be
>sure. It would be nice if the hard limit was only in effect if
>space is tight.

To get the "conditional hard limit" first set up the quota with a soft limit
and no hard limit.  (If it won't take no hard limit set it to the partion
size, same effect)  Then write a script that checks the partition usage
every hour (cron job) and if it goes above 80% or whatever, have the script
turn on the hard limit (or lower it from max to some reasonable value).

To get the "no send on over-quota" effect, write a cron job script that runs
every minute (or 5) to check everybody's quota usage.  Then require SMTP
Auth (normal username/password login) on the mail server.  If the script
sees somebody over quota, have it kill their login credential for SMTP.
Depending on the MTA u might even be able to get it to spit back an
informational message.  "Sorry Bozo, ur over quota!"

These are all of course hack ways to get the desired effect.  There might be
some "official" way of doing it with some daemon that I don't know about.

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede males"

00000100