Re: RSS output from apt?

I mistakenly sent this message directly to Joe (sorry about that).
But here it is:

That kind of feature could be probably useful for many other people.
While not everybody likes automated updates some kind of script could
extract information from the output of the apt's list of available
updates and then generate RSS-feed. Generated feed would be then
automatically uploaded to some central place (or another way could
be to use some local web server program to enable access to it).

So the process would be like this:

1. Daily cron job runs script that that runs "apt-get update" and
   compares if there is any new versions of installed programs.
2. If there is new versions available script would generate
   RSS-feed of collected information and save it to local system.
   Other included information could be for example relevant parts
   of the programs changelog and and possible open reports of bugs.
3. After file have been saved the script would then transfer it to
   another (local or remote) location.
4. Some HTTP(s)-server with password protection to would be used
   to enable access to those feeds (or they could be directly
   transferred to administrators computer?).
5. Administrator's feed-reader collects new feeds and shows
   what kind of things would be possible to update.
6. Admin will update the system(s) (or not if (s)he chooses).

This would be one way to do things...
There are probably better solution(s).

--
  Daniel Schildt