Re: Converting a *live* Fedora box to Debian

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Craig Sanders wrote:
[...]
>> easier to copy the data after rebooting into the mini debian partition
>> but
>> before reformatting the old RH partitions - if you have enough free
>> space on
>> the debian partitition (or somewhere easily accessible) that is.
>
> I think that's the key - free space.  If you're short any approach is more
> difficult.

Someone just posted me this link;

http://www.hadrons.org/~guillem/debian/debtakeover/

It is a script that converts a live system to debian stable. I believe it
does it on the existing partition, removing most stuff, excluding some
crucial config and most user data, before installing a debian base system
using debbootstrap.

I don't think I'd just trust it, but it might make a good starting point.
It almost certainly needs changes for Debian sarge/sid, including the 2.6
kernel modules support (doesn't use /etc/modules.conf any more, though I
think there is migration support from /etc/modules.conf).

At the very least it it might be worth a look in case includes some stuff
you forget to think about.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/