Re: Converting a *live* Fedora box to Debian

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Craig Sanders wrote:

and if there isn't any free disk space, you can unmount the swap partition and reformat it as ext2/3 or xfs or whatever and install a

Yes, this is a good idea.

easier to copy the data after rebooting into the mini debian partition but
before reformatting the old RH partitions - if you have enough free space on
the debian partitition (or somewhere easily accessible) that is.

I think that's the key - free space. If you're short any approach is more difficult.

This sort of endeavour will fall apart if you make one mistake.

it is easy to screw up, but a few *little* mistakes wont kill the whole
system.  be careful, think ahead and plan what you are going to do and it
should be a hassle-free procedure.

Yes you are right :) I was mainly trying to portray that mistakes can kill the system when doing this. I would recommend against an inexperienced admin doing this and wanted to make sure they understood great care is required.

if it is at all possible, practice it on a local machine first - but try not

That's a good idea too.

When adminning remote boxes I make sure I have access to a serial console whenever possible. More distros need to include it as part of the install IMHO. There are no technical reasons the whole Linux install can't be done through a serial console (as long as someone is ready to make bios changes & the pop the CD at the right time[1]). This is even without hardware support for a serial console. Having hardware support for a serial console is all the better.

[1] ie, remote hands.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.