Re: Converting a *live* Fedora box to Debian

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Joe Emenaker wrote:

What I'm wondering is: is it possible to convert the machine completely from Fedora to Debian *all* through an ssh session, without ever having access to the box. I think it can be done. I'm experimenting with a raw Fedora install

Depends. If they left free space on the disk, and you do not care to hold on to any of the existing data it is relatively easy - just make a new Debian install using debootstrap in a free filesystem, setup your bootloader to know about it and boot into Debian. Now blow away Fedora and repeat installing Debian onto the rest of the disk.

If you want to keep data is becomes a bit more complicated...

You have to shuffle data. You can shutdown all services by stepping backwards through rcX.d (whatever runlevel you are using) and use fuser to umount filesystems as processes release them. You are effectively entering single user mode the hard way. I wouldn't just init S in case it shutdown networking.

Once filesystems can be umounted you can mv one to the side and shuffle the data to create space for a new root filesystem. Then use Debootstap.

For the record I have moved /var & /home on a box this way. I drove into a user group meeting (HUMBUG has a tradition of bringing boxes to the meeting - dozens turn up for a 10 hour session) and partitioned the box back at home. I did this partly as an experiment. It worked but I knew if I messed it up all I had to do was drive home.

This sort of endeavour will fall apart if you make one mistake.

But, before I go much further, does anyone know of any docs on how to do this? Or does anybody know of some real deal-killer roadblocks that I'm going to run into?

Be careful about shutting down networking as noted above.

Personally I would not do this unless the provider is prepared to fix the mess (perhaps doing a minimum Debian install) to get it back online.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.