Re: ..publish lonesome /25 net behind a loose gun adsl router on dhcp?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:44:25 -0700, Nate wrote in message
<[🔎] 43AB4869.6060302@natetech.com>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> > ..the wifi isp business here has been shot down, very effectively,
> > by adsl vendors bundling subsidiced wifi "lan" boxes, so you will
> > wanna bring  in the law sharks early, or sell them sniffer laptops
> > and send them  out "trawling the banks", might pay off as well as
> > ambulance chasing.
>
> So tell them to quit being cheap, and get off of WiFi.  Use Motorola
> Canopy or Trango Wireless gear and move up a band or two to get out of
> the noise.  Put some real money into a well-engineered product,
> instead  of struggling with a consumer-grade over-the-air standard in
> a band  that's already overcrowded in most U.S. Metropolitan areas.
>
> Relying on WiFi and 2.4 GHz for any sort of real business model is
> silly, over the long term.

..very true.   Me, I'm moving over to thermochemical gasification.
A good half of the global grid juice is made from coal, in Asia.  ;o)

> Even if you're in a nice quiet rural area today, the local noise level
> will ALWAYS continually rise to cover up your network's signals as
> the population density of the area rises.

..true.  And then you should see a nice trend up on all boxes, over a
decade or so.  Not just one out of of 4 boxes in one single mast.  ;o)

..and the big broadcaster guys here (Norway) are pushing to kill FM for
DAB radio of all things, and a nationwide terrestrial "one way" network
for it and TV.  Politics.  And without a parliament seat, this is
turning into an useless rant thread, so I like to get a bit practical.

..so, for next time I'm on a _lonesome_ /25 net behind a dead hilltop
router, pointers on routing of a static net behind a cheap "loose gun
adsl router on dhcpl", "dynamic dns"-style or somesuch?

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: