Re: non-interactive ftp

Marek Podmaka said:
>   But tar (and tar.gz) isn't good for selective restore. Imagine you
>   have 5GB .tar.gz backup file of customer's data. And he wants just
>   one small file... unpacking it would take a lot of time (and CPU
>   resources gunziping entire 5GB till that file is found in .tar).

Imagine that the customer needs a file from 7 days ago but you don't
have it *at all* because you didn't have enough disk space to store it.

always a trade-off there. Do you want to have the most data available on
limited disk space, or is disk space not an issue and you constantly
have to pull a file or two out of an archive which makes it more time
consuming to [un]compress it. The OP mentioned that disk space was an
issue, so I spoke to that side of the coin.

Of course we can all agree that this solution doesn't scale, but we all
have to make due with the resources that we have. The OP needs a
solution that uses ftp, and also makes the most out of limited storage.

--

phil