Re: non-interactive ftp

Hello Phil,

Monday, November 28, 2005, 14:39:34, Phil Dyer wrote:

PD> Christian said:
>> but i like your idea - so simple too ;-)
>> i just have to see if my backup space can take 7days of backup, otherwise
>> i'll have to tune the namespace of the backups (e.g. 1.tar, 2.tar, 3.tar)

PD> and as mentioned before, you can compress the tar files to save space.
PD> tar cfz or tar cfj

  I make full backup of /home on Sunday and incremental backup (using
  tar) on every other day of week.

  But tar (and tar.gz) isn't good for selective restore. Imagine you
  have 5GB .tar.gz backup file of customer's data. And he wants just
  one small file... unpacking it would take a lot of time (and CPU
  resources gunziping entire 5GB till that file is found in .tar).

--
  bYE, Marki