Re: Why should I use Cyrus?

>> Rodolfo Barbosa wrote:
>>> My question is just it.

>> Chris Hilts
>> As you don't seem willing to read over the
>> documentation for Cyrus that explains the
>> features and technology it implements,
>> I'd gently suggest that you shouldn't use Cyrus.

Mostly, I'm a big RTFM guy, but there isn't a lot to specifically answer the question asked and there may be some answers from this list that can't found in the docs.

We're moving to Cyrus because it implements parts of the Imap standard that are required for the whole kolab (replace exchange server) thing.

It is considered to be faster than alternatives and has features that permit it to handle 10,000s or 100,000s of thousands of users.

It also has support for mailsieve which looks nicer and faster than procmail and has a few web front ends.

I've been playing and monitoring the cyrus list for a few months now. Cyrus has a steep learning curve. --For example, it takes special care to back it up. It looks relatively easy to screw things up so people can't read their mail.

I think the FAQ says "Not for beginners"

>> Rodolfo Barbosa wrote:
>>> My question is just it.

>> Chris Hilts
>> As you don't seem willing to read over the
>> documentation for Cyrus that explains the
>> features and technology it implements,
>> I'd gently suggest that you shouldn't use Cyrus.

yeah, on the other hand, if you are inquiring from idle curiosity, this is probably one of those:

	 "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"

things.

It might have been easier to answer your question given some info about your needs and motives.