Re: Recommendations for server: Intel E7520

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Guus Houtzager wrote:
> worse behaviour as Jeff Garzik who coded it specifically says that ich5
> and 6 will not have perfectly working hot swap. Ich7 will.

ICH7 is full AHCI.  But later ICH6 are also AHCI, maybe those also do
support proper hotplugging?  The first ICH6 revision was not AHCI and
couldn't do things any better than a ICH5 AFAIK.

I should hunt down the Intel datasheet and update specification sheet for
the ICH6 one of these days.  Right now I don't have the time ;-)

BTW: If you own something from Intel, always read their spec updates/chip
errata from time to time. That's how I got to know my ICH5 won't handle
speeds above SATA-150 right, for example.  That information won't be found
easily anywhere else.

> libata patch. Afaik vanilla 2.6.14 does not have the necessary
> ata-passthrough yet. If it does, please tell me how to turn it on,

It doesn't, you need the patches.

  Henrique Holschuh