Re: ticket systems

Jens Link wrote:

Dan MacNeil <dan@thecsl.org> writes:

I'm curious as to how people use ticket systems and their bad
experiences with ticket systems. "How" and "why" are more useful right
now than "what". I'm not especially interested in "request-tracker
rocks!" or "No! otrs rocks more!"

From my point of view the hardest part is to get the people to use the
ticket system. I setup OTRS a couple of month ago and some people still
write normal mails, call or even put sticky notes on my door. Yes I tried
to explain the benefits of a TTS but some people just don't want to
learn. BTW: I'm not talking about ordinary users here, but about a group
of techs responsible for client-systems and helldesk.
You don't ask people to use it -- you make it policy -- with management's approval. Psychology shows that people will meet their needs via whatever methods are open to them. Close the other methods, and they'll come in through the front door.

Policy states that if you get a sticky note, a regular e-mail or whatever, that the person doesn't get service and gets asked (nicely) to use the ticket system.

If you're doing a TTS without management's backing/desire, you're going to continue to have the problem. (In other words, if management doesn't need the metrics a TTS provides, then the TTS is really only a tool for *you* and the end-users and management don't care if you have it or not. They'll continue to contact you whatever way they want.)

Any system with e-mail access or web access usually easily allows you to go in through the web interface and open a ticket for someone else by pasting their e-mail message in, or by forwarding their e-mail into the TTS and then changing the contact info...

Thus you could "force" someone's e-mail/sticky note/whatever back under the TTS and it would send an e-mail to the end-user explaining how to track/look at the status of their ticket, etc.

Nate