Best practice for quotacheck ?

Hello,

Not Debian-specific, but anyway:

I run a mailhost (sarge, stock 2.6.8-2) with filesystem quota
(ext3, new quota format aquota.user).

In the documentation, it is recommended to run quotacheck from
time to time. I put this entry in /etc/cron.d/:

  5 23 * * 6 root /sbin/quotacheck -avugm

Then quotacheck complains:

  quotacheck: Quota for users is enabled on mountpoint /home so
  quotacheck might damage the file.
  Please turn quotas off or use -f to force checking.

so, I don't do things the right way.
What are the best practices for a host that has to run 24x7 ?

- quota off; quotacheck -avugm; quota on ?
- use -f ? "This is not  recommended as  the  created
  quota files may be out of sync." says man quotacheck

My goals are:
- keep the mailhost running 24x7 smoothly
- keep quota files in sync

Thanks for any advices,

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs              Labo. de Photonique et Nanostructures
tel      : (+33)1 69 63 61 34                             CNRS UPR 20