RE: debian 3.1 and proftpd server for my isp company help required

Hi ,

 Thanks for you help

1)I am planning to give a fake shell as you menction in my proftpd.conf file just remove the comment under RequireVaildShell off line it should work as i understand is that correct.

2)I am planning to hide the message when i try to ftp server name

Connected to 172.29.5.45.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server (Debian) [172.29.5.45]
User (172.29.5.45:(none)):

 How do i do that?.

3)once i created apache,proftp server my support group need to create the users using any GUI tool is there any tool to create the users for ftp,webspace and limit the quota / user please help me is there any GUI tool for this .

 I am really appriciate whoever is helping for my crucial project.

Best regards

Erik Dörnbach <doernbach@elge.de> wrote:
Hello,

> 1)Create a separate group for this ftpusers

That's more to the system itself, don't your customers already have a group of their own? If not, they should, use that group on 2) for example.

> 2)These users should login in to their home directory other
> than that nothing should see

Basically you just need the directive

"DefaultRoot ~" (~ means home directory, like "cd ~" in shell)

in your proftpd.conf. It's possible to implement more magic, as proftpd understands ACLs. Also, I used

"DefaultRoot ~ !staff" (the "!" negates the following object.)

which means, all users are bound to their home directory except those in the group staff.

> 3)If i want to remove the shell access for all these users
> how to configure proftpd.conf file

As in 1) - nothing to do with proftpd itself. I usally don't give a valid shell in /etc/passwd like /bin/noshell or the like. Also, noone should be able to get a shell to your system anyway except physically at the console. For instance you can define who's allowed to ssh to your machine and the like.

> 4)Security how to configure this in proftps.conf

Never done myself, sorry.

> I read the documents but i didn't understand fully.

I think the proftpd.conf is pretty good commented, also I think there was a good document on proftpd somewhere in the debian manuals section.

Best regards,

Erik

Yahoo! for Good