Re: limiting apache requests

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 11:37:18AM +0200, Marek Podmaka wrote:

>   Do you have any experience with limiting number of apache (1.3)
>   requests per IP or per vhost?

   I used mod_dosevasive which isn't packaged, but was very simple
 to setup and found it very useful.

>   And do you use mod-security? How much mem & cpu does it take? Is it
>   worth?

  Yes.  I haven't measured the memory/cpu usage explicitly but I've not
 noticed any significant slowdown with using it.

  (Right now I've got it upon a virtual host setup with Apache 2.x and
 my rules file is contains about 200 non-comment lines.)

  Of course it will depend upon what you do in the rules how well it
 will perform for you, both in terms of actual security and in performance.

Steve