Re: Areca SATA cards

Hi,

as they use a fan I would step away from them, that doesn't look like a
serious design to me. Fans don't tend to fail, they DO fail. Especially those
small ones. Instead we have purchased some of the new LSI cards (MegaRAID
SATA 300-8X - the x4 version according to my dealer is/was only available to
OEMS) which sport the same CPU but don't offer RAID6 by now. No problems yet.
Have stress-tested it under debian-amd64/sarge for five days, no problem.
You'll need a 2.6.11 kernel at least as they have updated megaraid drivers. I
used 2.6.12 vanilla sid/amd64.

Oh, a firmware update was needed.

      Sönke