Re: [nagios] killer config

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:46:39AM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Now I need to control this Network via SNMP und what I can us with
> nagios...
>
> With HP OpenView it was done in less then 5 hours, but with nagios. :-(

Nagios is not a replacement for HPOpenView. Nagios is for network and
device monitoring, not configuration.

> Does anyone have a Network of this dimension and bigger?

Yes. I have a couple hundred switches, near 100 servers and other
miscellaneous things being monitored by a single Nagios installation.

We chopped up Nagios 1.1 and MySQL to create our config files. They're
all dynamically generated. Of course, the interface for our group to
give to the rest of the company wasn't finished, so we have to modify
MySQL tables by hand. That is the bad part.

> Is ther no graphical GUI to setup the configs for the HOSTS?  I
> am setuping to death!  Is it better if I trash teh whole config
> of nagios and create my own one?

Why yes, there is.

http://management.itmanagersjournal.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/20/2034229&tid=89
details Groundworks new Open Source configuration tool for Nagios. We
just noticed this in June while talking about a rebuild of our netmon
server. My primary systems person looked at the Groundworks thing
(Monarch) and says "Wow, this is just what we want... " so in the next
week or two we're about to rebuild our netmon server, this time using
Monarch - or at least giving it a good try.

I have no idea as to the loyalty of Groundwork to Open Source, but we're
hoping they're on the good side of the force.

I'm surprised they (groundworks) haven't posted here.

I do not work for them or have any affiliation with them.

A note, using google to search for the terms 'Nagios" and "config"
yielded the second result as a link to something about Groundworks
stuff. Searching for the terms "nagios" "configuration" and "gui"
provided the top 6 hits as links to groundworks stuff.

The answer was out there... (cue X files music)...

HTH

+ It's simply not       | John Keimel            +
+ RFC1149 compliant!    | john@keimel.com        +
+                       | http://www.keimel.com  +