Re: [nagios] killer config

I'm confused by your comparison of HP Openview and Nagios.  Nagios only
does monitoring of hosts and services (is it up?).  Nagios does not do
SNMP configuration such things that HP Openview can do.

That said, I feel your frustration with Nagios configuration.  I work
with Nagios in a corporate environment and try to make it fit the
needs.

Nagios is pretty good for free, and the author is well-intentioned,
but it's woefully inadequate in some areas, such as configuration
flexibility.  Nagios is in desperate need of a relational database
back end, but the author/maintainer of the product doesn't seem to
agree, citing that it's easier to work with config files.
The limited (and poor) SQL DB support offered for the 1.x Nagios
line is gone in 2.x.

There is a product called OpenNMS that I really need to try out, but
have not gotten around to yet.  I'm not sure if it's any better.

Your idea of using host based config files might be a good idea -- I've
never thought of doing that (nor do I think that was ever intended, but
if it works, great).

Depending upon how often you change your topology and how much change
goes on in your network, it might well be worth your while to use
something other than Nagios.

Good luck

--
# Jesse Molina