Re: Firmware list

> oh, and it's a good idea to compile drivers for a bunch of different
> COMMON ethernet cards. if your NIC dies, it's convenient to be able to
> just rush out to the nearest computer shop and buy whatever they have to
> get the machine up and running again quickly.

I agree with Craig on this one... I've had cards die before, and its a
real hassle to THEN go and build a new kernel or module to make it work
with a new one, especially if you are doing the work remotely.

Just build in a few of the cheapie cards like the RTL cards, so you can
plug em in. Also, I would recommend compiling in the essentials, like any
RAID drivers you may have, and a few other basics like that. I personally
am more of the monolithic kernel set than modular, probably because I
mostly work with servers with a fixed set of hardware.