Re: Firmware list

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:33:34AM +0200, Lars Roland wrote:
> Is there a complete list somewhere on the net about the firmware that
> has been striped from the vanilla Debian kernel. I am having some
> performance issues and would like to make sure that these are not
> created by crappy driver support. Note, that this is not the time to
> start a flameware about the missing firmware, I just want a list of
> the drivers where firmware has been removed, google did not seam to
> find anything.

debian's kernels are butchered for insane ideological reasons. it's not worth
worrying about what's missing, just toss it out and go fetch the original
kernel sources.

don't use the debian-supplied kernel for anything except the initial
install* (this was good advice even before debian started butchering the
kernel, anyway - it's always better to use a custom-compiled kernel than
one of the pre-compiled ones).

1. install kernel-package and all other kernel build tools
2. download original kernel source from kernel.org
3. make config     to configure your kernel
4. make-kpkg ...   to build your own kernel-image .deb

craig

* if the butchered debian kernel wont work for the initial install, your only
choice is to compile a custom kernel on another machine and build your own
installer disk.  there's docs on how to do this somewhere on www.debian.org.

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)