Re: Firmware list

> debian's kernels are butchered for insane ideological reasons. it's not
worth
> worrying about what's missing, just toss it out and go fetch the
original
> kernel sources.

I know what you mean. It is sad that Debian, great project as it is, is
hampered by this type of political bickering and stuff. I mean, by all
means go with the completely free/open-source/etc. alternative if there is
a good one available (and help/support/donate to it if you can), but if
there is no better alternative, go with what works properly. Sigh... I
guess I'm not "idealistic" enough that I'm willing to compromise
functionality in order to go with "ideals", especially not in a
server/work environment.

> don't use the debian-supplied kernel for anything except the initial
> install* (this was good advice even before debian started butchering the
> kernel, anyway - it's always better to use a custom-compiled kernel than
> one of the pre-compiled ones).
>
> 1. install kernel-package and all other kernel build tools
> 2. download original kernel source from kernel.org
> 3. make config     to configure your kernel
> 4. make-kpkg ...   to build your own kernel-image .deb

I guess it would still be good to know whats been cut out, so you don't
need to do "trial and error" AFTER your server/hardware purchase, and can
at least either buy hardware that the Debian kernel will still work with,
OR just have the knowledge from the start that you're going to have to
custom-build and remake the install disks.