Re: Squid + Windows Update

Alex Borges wrote:

Now, to the matter at hand, the redirect solution would break
authentication on the proxy woulndt it? Do you have authentication in
your proxy?

Yes, transparent proxy's can break authentication. When you configure a proxy in the browser and prompted for authentication, the browser knows it's a proxy auth.

When it's transparent, the browser thinks the authentication is for the site it is going to. If this site required authentication itself, it gets confused and may keep going around in a loop.

For Windows Update, it *should* be fine, but if your clients are going to any other sites which need auth it may become a problem.

I don't know the exact details of how it works and breaks as I have actually never needed to do it myself, but from reading from other's experience this is how I understand it turns out.

HTH