Re: Shell accounts for multiple domains on one box

Hello,

I wrote domain technologie control.This provide at least the mail requipement you need. You can create as many email addresse you like, it wont add any system account, and there are no conflict with same-email@different-domain.com.

DTC is a GPL web control panel for admin and accounting hosting services that you can see there:

http://www.gplhost.com/?rub=softwares&sousrub=dtc

The panel script things that are hardly possible to do by hand. I'm about to release a nice milestone with multi-unix support (Debian woody & sarge, FreeBSD, Fedora & Mac OS X), with many cleanups and improvements. (announce comming here soon).

Stephen R Laniel a écrit :

You'd be surprised. As I mentioned, the consultancy I'm
working for nowadays uses 'user-domain-com', and users have
a hell of a time understanding what that's about.
Right, but you can always use user@domain.com wich is more understandable by newbies.

The end result -- whether I do this through the shell or
through virtual domains in Postfix or whatever -- is that I
want a naive user in Outlook to be able to set his or her
IMAP server to 'domain.com' and his username to 'user', even
if the IMAP server is actually sitting on a machine called
'foo.com'.

My panel does "pop.domain.com" by default for each hosted domains. I didn't add "imap.domain.com" but it realy would take 5 minutes to do so.

The reason I wanted shell access is that users may want to
edit their websites, and I figured they'd be using the
shell. But probably most users will only want to edit their
website files on their own desktops, then upload them or use
some web-based site editor (a la Movable Type) to do the
changes. And for that, I'm sure I could use some
roles-and-permissions system that sits above the shell.
(Right?)
True sometimes it can be easy to use a unix shell editor. But there are many other ways of doing it, like using a php application that will allow you to edit files on the server using a web page. Did you think about it ?

By the way, I've though many times about providing a secured shell environement for my users. One of the options is the exelent NSS MySQL which will provide you a backend to add users. Then the best way would probably to do a chroot. My panel provide a chroot with the copy of all main needed files in each vhosts folder. The idea would be to add a "shell login" tab in the panel and let the users log in that chroot environement using nobody:nogroup (who cares about UID/GID if it's chrooted ?). The only thing is a lot of concern is memory, disk and cpu usage. For PHP, you just leave it as default config, and you will have limitations (8Megs max, 30s of cpu time...). For CGI-BIN and perl, I use a modified version of SBOX (http://www.gplhost.com/?rub=softwares&sousrub=sbox) that does the softlimit() necessary calls. But how could you add some limitations to shell scripting ? I don't think it's realy possible, anybody has idea ?

Another way is to provide UML, but that's a complete different topic.

It sounds -- from all your very helpful comments -- like
even bothering with shell accounts for this sort of thing is
not worth it. And come to think of it, users might not even
care all that much about shell access.
That's not true. Some of my users needs it, like the ones that want to use IRC bouncers, the ones that wants to start shell scripts to install programms, the one that wants to run compiled stuff, etc... That realy would be a cool feature in a hosting panel, but currently I'm still digging for a smart solution to handle it.

Thomas, GPLHost LLC manager

--
GPLHost:>_ Opensource hosting worldwide
Get a host in Florida or Singapore with leading GPL panel