Re: network monitoring

Hi Martin,

I am a little confused with your requirements -

On the one hand, you are happy to install via nfs, but on the other hand,
you want monitoring done via 'ssh'?

If you really need this much security, you should probably look at
implementing ALL your connections via IPSEC - and possibly look at
storing your ssl keys on a floppy, or usb stick as someone else suggested.

Nagios mainly uses SNMP to pull its data - authenitcated but not encrypted.
Big Sister - Have heard its similar to big brother - simple to set up
(compared to nagios) and for your small network should be more than adequate.
Big Brother (and probably big sister) have client software that runs on each
machine that sends the status info back to the display server.

Either way, if you really need such tight encryption, IPSEC.

To be honest, I don't know what sort of data you have running on these boxes,
but I would create a relatively secure gateway, and have my cluster behind
this. This way you could possibly reduce your internal secuity requirements,
and not need encryption everywhere. Just make sure you back up your data
regularily

All logins via the gateway - squid access to the internet from the cluster
network.

Regards

Andrew