network monitoring

I would like to monitor all the nodes of a cluster, but I am rather
pressed for time so that I cannot investigate all the options.

I tried spong, but it's pretty bad especially because it requires
changes to the client to specify which tests to run. Ideally,
a network monitoring system should consist of a client (running on
the master), and servers on all nodes, which can then do as the
client instructs. Obviously, this should be within limits, and
strongly authenticated. Maybe SSH would work for this.

So my question is: which network monitoring system would you
recommend, given my requirements?

Thanks,

`. `'`