Re: Defining ISP?

Please write your text after the quoted text and don't quote excessively.
This is not AOL.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:48, "shift" <shift@tiscali.se> wrote:
> Well, about the week-end, you're welcome for another one (...)
>
> About the install, I do almost the same. the second part is the
> optimization.
> Using an optimized distrib on an SR2200 (dual PIII 1.4GHz Tualatin-S), SCSI
> U160, I have better results on Mysql nemchmarks than with a non-optimized
> SR2300-SKU0 dual xeon 3.0 1MB L3 cache and SCSI U320!!

U160 vs U320 makes little difference if you have only one hard disk.  I have
never seen a disk that can do more than 70MB/s sustained (and the transfer
rates under real load are usually much lower).

Two CPUs are not necessarily faster than one.  There is overhead in locking
data structures.  If an application is only written to use one CPU then the
second is just dead weight.

For good test results you change one thing at a time.  Change three or more
things at once (CPU, disk, and compilation options) and you will never know
how much each one affected the results.