Re: Defining ISP?

yep shift, is what i've done. I've been playing with apt-get and apt-cache in order to discover all minimal dependencies por a serie of packages.

My procedure is the following:

1. NetInstall or Minimal install using CD1 from Woody
2. Minimal Config
3. Change apt-sources, changing "stable" for "sarge"
3. apt-get update
4. apt-get distro-upgrade

At this step my system is converted from 3.0 Woody to 3.1 Sarge. Starting from sarge now i star the installation of groups of packages.

Suppouse that i want to install in a unique box a web, smtp, pop3, imap4, ftp, database and dns server.

I have the same config files as servers i want to install. I have in a file the list of packages for server needed. From console i launch a batch process calling those files. In about 15' i have a whole system installed.

About the configuration, of course, i have done the config once and then i only copy files from a repository and fix some permission issues on files, but all documented fine.

This is my way!

BR,

jonathan

shift wrote:

Well, it seems to be the best method. But isn't it possible to define a
general list of necessary packages used by ISPs and regroup the whole in a
minimalistic optimized distribution specificly made for ISP use? And
excluding all other packages (desktop, non-necessary libraries, windowing
etc...).
It's even possible to integrate some optimization tools (apt-build) and
automatize some installation jobs
At my actual knowledge, such a distribution doesn't exist. Should it be
interesting or is it only the remanent effects of a very good long week-end?
:)

BR

shift