From: Shannon R.
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 2:15 AM
Subject: Re: max requests a celeron web server can handle

hi robert, all,

my problem is that i can't run a benchmark because i don't have that machine. it's a managed hosting package im interested in.

the machine will be hosting 1 website only. with about 3,000 static html files and about 5,000 image files (from 3kb to 100kb. and no, it's not a pornsite, but a bike enthusiast site)

so what do you guys think? any ballpark as to how many simulataneous users it can serve and how many page-views it can do per hour will be very much appreciated.

thanks!
shannon

Robert Hensel <robert@hensel.nl> wrote:
Hi,

Depends on the files being served, are they always the same (one
website) or like 200 different websites? I guess with just static files
(no db &stuff) the IDE disk will be your bottleneck, unless the files
are mostly cached (you do have 1G RAM).
I would run an apache benchmark (ab) from multiple pc's and see for
yourself how much it can handle (however, as i said before, if you have
a large number of websites that aren't cached, that benchmark wouldn't
be a really good test since you only test one file)

greetings,
robert

--
Hensel.nl Website Hosting
W: http://www.hensel.nl/

Please visit our web site: http://www.hensel.nl/
for more information about our products and services.

This email and any attachment is intended for the
addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you
are notified that no part of the email or any
attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed,
and that any other action related to this email or
attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.

If you are not the addressee, please notify the sender
immediately by return email, and delete this message.

Hensel.nl and/or its employees shall not be liable
for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this
email or any attachments, nor responsible for any
delay in receipt.