Re: Streaming Video Server

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 at 10:56:32, Marcel Hicking wrote:

> --Thursday, July 08, 2004 21:00:09 -0500 Rod Rodolico
> <stargazer@rodolico.org>:
> > I just talked myself into a corner. A client called and asked if we
> > can do a streaming video server and I said "Yes, of course."
> [...]
>
> Depends on what you/your customer wnats exactly.
> Maybe check out Apple's Darwin Streaming Server:
> http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/streaming/
> "can both serve on-disk QuickTime, MPEG-4, and 3GPP files
> and reflect live broadcasts". Apple claims it runs under
> Red Hat, so it probably will compile under Debain as well.
>
> It's "free" although incompatible with the GPL. See
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html

Or you might want to try out the Helix Server (from Real Networks) - which is
afaik not really "free" either. Have a look at:
http://www.helixcommunity.org/
Haven't yet played with it. But I heared the developer-tools they offer allow
easy configuration and compilation. The server allows you to do streaming of
RealAudio/-Video if needed.

I'd appreciate to hear from you about your test-results on streaming-video-
servers (private mail) - or maybe others here are interested as well.

Good luck,
 Stefan