Re: ..idea; ddos spam hosts off Internet?

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:27:03 +1000, Russell wrote in message
<[🔎] 200404091527.03037.russell@coker.com.au>:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:51, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> > ..another idea; DDOS'ing spam hosts _off_ the net, say by using
> > other spam hosts as DOS relays?  Spam headers contain the
> > originating ip, and 2 such _can_ be set up to DOS each other.
> > _Etc_.
>
> The problem is that such attacks are a crime, and you are probably
> easier for the authorities to catch then the spammer...

..most places, agreed.

> > ..these spam hosts are commonly virus infected Wintendo's without
> > the owner knowing, as such unsuspecting owners feel their box
> > appears to work normally.
> >
> > ..these virus infected Wintendos should be taken off-line, anyway,
> > and made secure. And isp's should have a policy on such abuse,
> > and enforce it.
>
> http://www.netfilter.org/patch-o-matic/pom-base.html
>
> See the section on "osf" in the above URL for a better solution.
> Simply block Windows machines from accessing your port 25.

..if only all isp's did it...

> > ..outside Internet, similar action is warranted in many
> > jurisdictions, by laws governing emergencies, for example, breaking
> > into your neighbors house to take his computer is a criminal
> > offence, but may be warranted if his house is ablaze and you know
> > the loss of his data will destroy his business.
>
> I doubt that any court would rule that a DDOS attack is lawful,
> particularly as the attack would mostly harm an innocent ISP that has
> a Windows luser as a customer (all ISPs have lame customers).

..argueably, yes, however in the case of the lame isp's,
there's possibly an opening for such court rulings.

> > ..Bill Gates' proposal of email-for-a-fee-to-Microsoft to solve
> > this, is IMHO pure racism, as is Nigeria's 419 legislation, as it
> > effectively denies all other Africans and many Asians the access to
> > the free email that you and I enjoy.
>
> I don't want to send email to Microsoft anyway...  ;)

.. ;-)  The Microsoft scheme is a M$ scheme, their idea is
collect the M$ thru their "passport" "service", AFAIUI.

..and, booo, you cc'ed me, spammer!  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: