Re: Debian and SAN support

George Georgalis wrote:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 01:32:44PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:

--On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 21:22 +0100 "J.J. van Gorkum" <job@knowzone.org> wrote:

Yes, a big one : NFS is non-atomic in it's writing...

A write action to the (NFS) disk can be interrupted (normal behaviour in
the NFS world). So when the software (even the disk driver) reports that
the data is written to the disk there is a possibilitiy that this is not
true....

That said we run about ten thousand web sites like this and rarely, if ever, have a problem. We have more problems with the caching of the inode status information and such producing incoherency than actual data incoherency.

I'm building a system with 3 nodes across the country on dynamic dsl
links (one of which may be intermitent and have 15% packet loss when
up).

since there is not much likelyhood any two sites will be in use at once
(one person, multiple offices) I'm planning a daily rsync; but had
wanted to do something more realtime.

Any suggestions?

// George

Have a look at Coda Filesystem. It may come in handy especially with the intermitent node.

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

José