Re: Debian and SAN support

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 01:32:44PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:

>--On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 21:22 +0100 "J.J. van Gorkum"
><job@knowzone.org> wrote:
>>Yes, a big one : NFS is non-atomic in it's writing...
>>
>>A write action to the (NFS) disk can be interrupted (normal behaviour in
>>the NFS world). So when the software (even the disk driver) reports that
>>the data is written to the disk there is a possibilitiy that this is not
>>true....
>
>That said we run about ten thousand web sites like this and rarely, if
>ever, have a problem.  We have more problems with the caching of the inode
>status information and such producing incoherency than actual data
>incoherency.

I'm building a system with 3 nodes across the country on dynamic dsl
links (one of which may be intermitent and have 15% packet loss when
up).

since there is not much likelyhood any two sites will be in use at once
(one person, multiple offices) I'm planning a daily rsync; but had
wanted to do something more realtime.

Any suggestions?

// George

--
George Georgalis, Admin/Architect   cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Linux Infrastructure, Security      mailto:george@galis.org