Re: Is gray-listing a one-shot anti-spam measure?

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 20.41, mimo wrote:
> Russell Coker wrote:
> >On Friday 03 December 2004 20:07, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
> ><avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:

> >>(And - this to Stephen Frost, I believe - there is a patch to postgrey
> >>which I will include in the next version, and I believe which will also
> >> be included in the next upstream, to whitelist a client IP as soon as
> >> one greylisted email came through.  So the load on legitimate
> >> mailservers will be even smaller.)
> >
> >As has already been suggested it would be good to be able to configure
> > the number of messages that come through before the client IP is
> > white-listed.

> But I think the
> problem of this would be that initial messages would be even more
> delayed, depending on the sending server, than they are with normal
> one-shot greylisting.

I think you misunderstand Russel.  He does, afaict, not want the initial
message be rejected multiple times, but he wants to see several messages
coming through, with normal greylisting in effect, before the IP is
whitelisted for all email.

greetings
-- vbi

--
No caemos de súbito en la muerte, sino que a ella vamos minuto a minuto.
  -- Séneca. (2 a.C-65) Filósofo latino.