Re: Is gray-listing a one-shot anti-spam measure?

On Friday 10 December 2004 21:31, Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch>
wrote:
> > >As has already been suggested it would be good to be able to configure
> > > the number of messages that come through before the client IP is
> > > white-listed.
> >
> > But I think the
> > problem of this would be that initial messages would be even more
> > delayed, depending on the sending server, than they are with normal
> > one-shot greylisting.
>
> I think you misunderstand Russel.  He does, afaict, not want the initial
> message be rejected multiple times, but he wants to see several messages
> coming through, with normal greylisting in effect, before the IP is
> whitelisted for all email.

You are correct.  My desire is to increase the number of messages that must be
successfully delivered before white-listing, not to increase the number of
attempts that is necessary to deliver a single message.

Also I would want to control the length of time that a white-list entry will
remain if there is no appropriate traffic.  I think that a period of about a
week of no traffic from that IP address is enough cause to remove the
white-list entry.

The vast majority of email that I receive comes from a small set of IP
addresses that send mail to me every day.  This includes the Debian list
servers and other mailing lists.  A much smaller (but very significant) part
of my email is from on-going discussions.  Sometimes I have email
correspondence of 1-2 messages per day with one person for a period of a week
or so, and often in those cases they use the same IP address to send all
their email.

Finally an important part of my email is comprised of messages from people I
know well, friends, relatives, and people I work with.  Assembling a
permanent white-list of IP addresses that those people use would be
reasonably easy.  Ideally the mail server would help in automating this by
allowing me to white-list combinations of email address and IP address and
then automatically remove them if mail stops from that address and starts
coming from another.

We need a web-based front-end for managing these things so we can allow
regular users to manage their white-list entries.