Re: blacklists

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:51:13PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 December 2004 09:55, Michael Loftis <mloftis@modwest.com>
> wrote:
> > I have to agree with that statement. For us it suits our needs very
> > well. I don't mind handling the extra retry traffic if it means
> > legitimate mail on a 'grey/pink' host is just temporarily rejected
> > or delayed while they clean up, in fact this is far more desireable
> > for us.
>
> How would I configure Postfix to do this?

probably "maps_rbl_reject_code = 450"

> Craig, why do you think it's undesirable to do so?

because i dont want the extra retry traffic.  i want spammers to take FOAD as
an answer, and i dont want to welcome them with a pleasant "please try again
later" message.  i think it is a sin to be polite or pleasant to a spammer :)

even on my little home system, at the end of an adsl line, i reject nearly
10,000 spams per day (and climbing all the time).  i would expect that to at
least double or triple if i 4xx-ed them rather than 5xx, depending on how much
came from open relays or spamhaus rather than dynamic/DUL.

i can see why some might want to do this, but not me.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)