Re: a couple of postfix questions

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 19:06 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 December 2004 14:35, "W.D.McKinney" <dee@akwireless.net>
> wrote:
> > Hmm, meaning Hotmail, Yahoo and others run three legged mules ? :-)
>
> It's just a pity that hotmail and yahoo have so many users that it's
> inconvenient to block them entirely.

Hi Russell,

Good to hear from you. We run Barracuda Spam Firewalls also, so no
worries.

> > No worries, this list is about Debian and we really like Debian. Not
> > married to any MTA, just need some.
>
> Qmail is not in Debian.  Even the qmail-src package is no longer in Debian.
> This makes it significantly more difficult to manage Qmail Debian servers.

Well if you don't like compiling from src, then head to
http://smarden.org/pape/Debian/

> If you want a reliable server then it's a really good idea to stick with
> software that's in the distribution whenever possible.  Preferrably use one
> of the more common options too.  Postfix and Exim are both commonly used in
> Debian, it's most likely that someone else will encounter bugs before you do
> and they will be fixed before you upgrade.

Hey, Adam is one of the best guys working with Debian. See
http://www.linuxis.net for his personal biz. Heavy into qmail.
He originally helped me get going.

> > "Bloated" means overweight, non essential and not availble to chuck out
> > the window up here.
>
> The way Debian generally works is that all the most commonly used features are
> compiled in.  This means that the vast majority of users can use binary
> packages.  Significant advantages are derived from this, there are situations
> where minor changes in code (optimisation changes etc) can cause programs to
> break.  Using the same binaries as a million other people reduces the chance
> that you will be the one to first encounter a bug.

Yes, I understand but thanks. Typically this is a big help.

> Gentoo users like compiling everything specific to each installation.  They
> might get a few percent performance increase (but this is not guaranteed),
> but they will definitely have more problems with reliability.

I wholeheartedly agree and stay away from Gentoo personally.

> > "Rock Solid" means it's been so long long since we needed to make a
> > change, it's easy to forget how.
>
> That's because changing Qmail is a PITA.

So we didn't change, it just keeps purring.

I'll go ahead and give Postfix/Exim4 another whirl though.

Cheers,
Dee