Re: a couple of postfix questions

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 19:18, "W.D.McKinney" <dee@akwireless.net>
wrote:
> > Qmail is not in Debian.  Even the qmail-src package is no longer in
> > Debian. This makes it significantly more difficult to manage Qmail Debian
> > servers.
>
> Well if you don't like compiling from src, then head to
> http://smarden.org/pape/Debian/

It would be good if he could revive the qmail-src package in non-free.  Having
lots of apt repositories listed in your server's configuration is not really
what you want.

> > If you want a reliable server then it's a really good idea to stick with
> > software that's in the distribution whenever possible.  Preferrably use
> > one of the more common options too.  Postfix and Exim are both commonly
> > used in Debian, it's most likely that someone else will encounter bugs
> > before you do and they will be fixed before you upgrade.
>
> Hey, Adam is one of the best guys working with Debian. See
> http://www.linuxis.net for his personal biz. Heavy into qmail.
> He originally helped me get going.

Who is Adam?  Is he a DD?  If so then why doesn't he revive qmail-src?

> > > "Bloated" means overweight, non essential and not availble to chuck out
> > > the window up here.
> >
> > The way Debian generally works is that all the most commonly used
> > features are compiled in.  This means that the vast majority of users can
> > use binary packages.  Significant advantages are derived from this, there
> > are situations where minor changes in code (optimisation changes etc) can
> > cause programs to break.  Using the same binaries as a million other
> > people reduces the chance that you will be the one to first encounter a
> > bug.
>
> Yes, I understand but thanks. Typically this is a big help.

If you understand then why are you so desperate to chuck out features at the
cost of using a less common system?

> > > "Rock Solid" means it's been so long long since we needed to make a
> > > change, it's easy to forget how.
> >
> > That's because changing Qmail is a PITA.
>
> So we didn't change, it just keeps purring.

Unless you want to have mail to unknown recipients be rejected at the SMTP
level or one of the other features that are missing from Qmail.  Also if you
develop a patch for Qmail then there's no chance of Dan accepting it...