Re: a couple of postfix questions

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 06:13:58PM -0900, W.D.McKinney wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 08:14 +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > migrating to/from qmail is always a PITA.  aside from being ancient (and thus
> > not keeping up with current mail practices, especially spammers and viruses),
> > the main problem with qmail is that it is a dead-end trap.    it makes no
> > attempt at backwards/forwards- compatibility with other MTAs, so any migration
> > basically involves re-doing everything from scratch.  you won't be able to
> > re-use map files (like /etc/aliases) or make the fairly trivial transformations
> > to convert them, e.g., a sendmail mailertable to a postfix transport table.
>
> Wow Craig,
>
> We moved over from the bloated Postfix box to a lean mean qmail install,
> been rock solid since.

you obviously speak a different language, with strange and bizarre definitions
for common words & phrases like "bloated" and "rock solid".

trying to interpret here, "bloated" must mean something like "has essential
features", and "rock solid" probably means "reasonably solid if you ignore
really stupid annoyances like the fact that it can't reject a message at the
SMTP level, it *always* accepts and then bounces it".

> To each his own though and as I always say, pick a horse and learn to
> ride. :-)

yes, but it's generally better to pick a good horse rather than a three-legged,
half-blind bad-tempered mule that is well past retirement age.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)