Re: MailScanner with Sendmail

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 00:23, Penbrock wrote:
> I am a newbie trying to learn our office servers so I have put a system up
> at home just like the ones our office uses for the ISP servers. I am
> trying to play around to find better ways to work things and I have come
> across MailScanner. I think I have it all installed on my testing system
> how ever I can not find any Doc's on how to tell Sendmail to start calling
> MailScanner. Can anyone help me out here or direct me to some doc's on
> using it on a Debian server with Sendmail?
>
> Thanks for any direction you can give this old MS user trying to learn
> Linux
>
> Ken

You'll need to tell sendmail to just queue the mail for delivery, not actually
deliver it.

in /etc/mail/sendmail.conf, you'll something like:
DAEMON_PARMS="-bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in";

then get Mailscanner to pick up the mail from the queue, scan it, and put it
back into sendmail's delivery queue.

in /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf:
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue.in
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue

sendmail doesn't directly call mailscanner, both run as separate processes and
just put the necessary files where the other can find them,