Re: LDAP Expert's help please

1.- Be shure what service is what. I mean, if youre running imap, we are
talking about 10 different possible imap servers that are provided in
debian. So, make shure you know which of them are you running. Same goes
for smtp, ftp...etc.

2.- Each of those you can research separately to see where are their
auth settings taken care of. If you can assert that no funnny ldap/ldap
auth stuff is happening in each config file, you can start looking at
PAM to see if everything is being authed there (a shure hit is that
there is a config file for each service in the pam.d config directory,
and the services are directed to auth against PAM -most, but not
necesarily all, are by default- ).

3.- LDAP is an easy thing. It aint much really, just data ordered to
some schema. So, the sysadm is right if he says with the root password
you can check everything out.

4.- You can possibly get whats the diff between what ldap.conf is by
default, and what does it look like now. A big part of this thing is
what schema files are included in this file. That will tell you at least
what schemas your ldap server supports appart from the default. For
example, if you are using qmail as the smtp, there will probably be a
file with the speciffic qmail-ldap schema (carefull about assumptions,
thats not true the other way arround, nor is it analogous in every other
mta).