Re: decent webmail software - does it exist? (Test: äöüÄÖÜ)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Bertrand Yvain wrote:
> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 November 2004 10.23, Bertrand Yvain wrote:
> > > FYI, headers must be in plain ASCII (RFC822).  But I agree that everyone
> > > wants to have a subject in the same language as the body.
> >
> > Headers can contain any charset they wish, as long as they are encoded
> > properly.
>
> Thanks for correcting me.  RFC2047 describes how to encode message
> headers.  I thought that MIME would work only for message bodies.

And, if you can get away with it, you should be rejecting at the MTA any
message with 8-bit characters in any header.

Since I cannot get away with that, I reject any with more than about 8
characters that are not ASCII. This cleans up an amazing amount of trash,
but still lets through broken messages in the local language (Brazilian
Portuguese).  So far, the filter didn't cause any customer to get pissed
off. It has been active for 2 years now.

Probably all my CJK and Russian customers use proper email software, or
something... there are not many, and the other 99% appreciates the reduction
in spam levels.

  Henrique Holschuh