Re: Value of backup MX

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 02:18:50PM -0500, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > if you do have a backup MX, then you need to have the same anti-spam
> > & anti-virus rules as on your primary server AND (most important!) it
> > needs to have a list of valid recipients, so that it can 5xx reject
> > mail for unknown users rather than accept and bounce them (known as
> > "backscatter").
>
> Oh you mean reject mail for unknown recipients rather than bounce the
> mail[1].  Ok, I can see why you are suggesting it but it is an RFC
> violation.

so are most anti-spam and anti-virus methods.  theory is fine, but pragmatic
reality sometimes dictates divergence from an idealist theory.

> Not that I'm necessary saying not to do it but one must walk
> towards RFC violations fully aware of the fact (for the benefit of those
> reading along at home).

true.  you've got to know the rules before you break them.

> [1] I thought you were suggesting the MTA should drop mail from unknown
> senders - a type of brutal white list :)

not at all.  that wouldn't make much sense, and it wouldn't be very useful.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)