Re: Value of backup MX

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Andreas Barth wrote:

> * Robert Brockway (rbrockway@opentrend.net) [041110 20:20]:
> > Oh you mean reject mail for unknown recipients rather than bounce the
> > mail[1].  Ok, I can see why you are suggesting it but it is an RFC
> > violation.
>
> Why should it be a RFC violation to reject mail for unknown recipients
> with 550? If a remote client sends me a mail adress I don't accept on a
> permanent reason, I should give a 5xx error code.

My reading of the original poster was that he was suggesting dropping the
mail on the floor rather than returning a 5xx (which would be a bounce).

Reviewing it, he did mention rejecting with a 5xx, so I withdraw the
statement.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.